Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 17:35:09 EST 2003

--- JOdel at aol.com wrote:
> Five favorite children's books that I actually read
> as a child?
(snip)
These didn't set my tastes for
> fantasy reading so much
> as they did for my physical deffinition of what a
> "beautiful book" should be.
> This series was one last glorious refuge of Art
> Nouveau sensibilities, at
> least to a child's eye (and until Neill's death in
> the '40s. Neill's artwork
> had unified the look of a series which had up to
> that point had three
> different authors. The illustrators who followed him
> were Frank Kramer, whose
> work was distinctly inferior -- although easier for
> me to copy -- and someone
> I cannot remember. The illustrator of the MacGraw's
> book, Dick Martin, had a
> lovely 1950's style which is absolutely charming on
> its own behalf,

(snip)

. Although
> the longevity of those probably has as much to do
> with the Hillary Knight and
> Maurice Sendak illustrations. (Note: the first book
> and the third were
> originally isssued with illustratuions by some
> unknown house illustrator. But
> reissued with Knight's some time in the '50s, I
> think. Since then, all
> reprints have used Knight.)
>
> Third; C. S. Lewis's Narnia stories, and let's hear
> it for Pauline Baynes as
> well.

You obviously were into illustrations!
This brings to mind my own love for the wonderful Art
Deco illustrations that many of my mother's childrens
books from the '30s had.
I agree about Pauline Baynes.
One of the great joys of being a parent of young
children was being able to buy them wonderfully
illustrated children's book. No longer having the
excuse of young children hasn't stopped us.

Jon