Fat and lit

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Feb 5 17:26:14 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

> I was thinking that the princess in "Shrek" fits the bill for this perfectly.
>
> (spoilers ahead!)

[putting in spoiler space just in case]

> Bear in mind that I haven't read the book (by William Steig) in years
> (and years) but in the movie Shrek heads off to rescue the damsel in
> distress (of course!). When he finds her she is thin and beautiful,
> but has to disappear at night time because of a curse that she's
> under. At the end, it turns out that the "thin" part is the curse -
> she's actually heavy and not classic-fairy-tale-beautiful. Shrek
> loves her more this way and they live happily ever after (presumably).
>
> Mind you, Shrek is no Cary Grant himself. But he's just as green and
> ogre-like after he has his quest, saves the day, and falls in love as
> he was when he started.

Okay, I admit that I haven't read the book, so I don't know if the movie
changed this part. But in the movie, it's not that Princess Fiona becomes
*ugly* at night; it's that she becomes an *ogre*. While ogre!Fiona is
certainly larger than non-ogre!Fiona (about three times the volume would
be my estimate, but that's mostly because in her human form Fiona is
abnormally slender in the mode of most animated heroines), I think it's
more the green skin and tubelike ears that cause her to think herself
ugly.

I actually think she's much, much cuter as an ogre (she's got this little
snub nose! and her smile looks much more natural). And part of it is that
two ogres can, of course, find happiness. Also, though, Fiona has rather
an ogre-like temperament--she's all "ooh! skewered rat for
dinner! yay!" :^)