tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies)

Wed Feb 5 15:23:52 EST 2003

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:18:50 +0000, christian nutt wrote:

>the real reason i don't like the books anymore is not because of the
>narrative, which is actually chock full of good things. i just can't bear
>his writing anymore. it's really exceedingly overdone. he could've doen the
>same books in half the wordage. at the most. he's fond of repeating
>metaphors that aren't even that good to begin with. i crave brevity.

I have to disagree with you very strenuously.  The fact that you prefer
brevity does not equate to Williams' writing being overdone or bad.  The
reason those books are so long is that he's got at least five full-length
novels going at once--not because he doesn't know how to keep it short.  I
can't even imagine if _Otherland_ were shorter; there's way too much
mythology and symbolism in there to cut out, because half the meaning is
lost.  If it were just about the core stories, I'd agree with you, but the
extra length is part of a metaphorical story that overlies the plot.

The funny thing is that I really didn't care for MS&T when my other female
friends were all waiting impatiently for it.  I wouldn't have bothered with
_Otherland_ either had I not been going on vacation to the beach.  It
qualifies as the longest novel I've ever read.

And in reference to your other post about listening to us about fantasy:
Aren't you here because you like DWJ?  Doesn't that qualify as fantasy?  My
word, the genre certainly isn't all epic multi-volume quest fantasy.  You
just have to know where to look. I know.  We can all just *tell* you what to
read and then most of the hard work will be done.  :)

Melissa Proffitt