tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies)

christian nutt ferricide at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 5 14:01:49 EST 2003

i read 90% of the first sword of shanarra book back in my fantasy days at
the insistence of a close friend. i just up and put it down at that point,
not caring about the outcome and sick to death of it. that's never happened
with a book before or since.

(note: he's often tried to get me to read the wheel of time books by saying
that they're boring and irritating. i'm oversimplifying but not really
misrepresenting. i do not understand this argument.)

later i tried to read the first scions of shanarra book, and gave up much
quicker that time around. maybe about a third of the way.

this coming from someone who sucked down david eddings books and read all of
xanth that was published by 1992 or so.

driving last night i was thinking about how i still have a fondness for the
things about fantasy i like, but since i detest the things that i don't it
makes it very hard to find any middle ground in the genre and that's why
i've just given up.

i guess that if i listened to other people on this list i'd find things to
like in it. maybe i should start doing that -- it just gets kind of
confusing, i'm busy, and have other interests as well. =)

christian.