Friendship and Fat and lit

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 5 09:35:03 EST 2003

>  > On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:41:19PM -0800, Denise DeGraf wrote:
>>  > Recommendations for tales of friendship, anyone?
>
>Um. Mahy's Catalog(ue) Of The Universe has Angela and Tycho as friends, the
>plot is around her finding her father but their friendship is important in
>it. It's surprising how difficult this is- I suppose heroes are often
>loners, and either are away from friends and family, or too busy Saving the
>World to bother, or they fall in love.

But the falling in love doesn't disqualify the friendship, does it?
Can't, given the example you chose.  We were thinking about the
Mairelon books this morning, and how nicely removed from physical
descriptions they are.  It would have been so easy to have Kim do the
Cinderella transformation thing, and then have the men falling all
over her, but that's not how it goes.  Refreshing.

Hallie.