Fat and lit

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 5 06:32:26 EST 2003

Megan:

>Yes, they may not be allowed marmalade, but they are happy with their sizes.
>They have a conversation with Gwendolen in which she calls them fat, and
>they reply along the lines of: i like being plump, it's comfortable, not
>like being a china doll.

Yes, but it still changes the dynamic of the book.  Milly is
described as a plump lady, and if either she or Crestomanci is
deciding that the children's weight isn't acceptable, then one or the
other of them is not happy with Milly's weight.

>Someone with better access to the books please look this up, i don;t think i
>could figure it out from the swedish version.

"We're too fat," Julia said, calmly taking the knife and the
marmalade after Roger had done with them.  Cat was not surprised when
he saw how much marmalade they had managed to pile on their bread. ...

Gwendolen looked at them with disgust, and then, rather complacently,
down at her trim linen dress.  The contrast was certainly striking.
"Your father is such a handsome man," she said.  It must be such a
disappointment to him that you're both pudgy and plain, like your
mother."

The two children looked at her placidly over their cliffs of
marmalade.  "Oh, I wouldn't know," said Roger.

"Pudgy is comfortable," said Julia.   "It must be a nuisance to look
like a china doll, the way you do."

And then the food fight begins.

Hallie.