fantasy monarchies

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 05:38:59 EST 2003

 Jon wrote:
> Where fantasy books have governments
> that aren't absolute monarchies they tend to be set in
> worlds that are close analogies of our own (eg the
> world of the Chrestomanci)

Or they are corrupt councils of merchants (that may well be an OMT as
well!). Often Our Heroes come from a monarchy and visit a wicked foreign
country, and are shocked to discover the nasty commercial types in charge.
Oh, I've just thought of a non-rotten ruling Council, in Lud-in-the-Mist the
last Duke disappeared 200 years ago and the Mayor now runs things- the
council are a closed shop and rather stuffy but aren't evil or particularly
incompetent.
Jennifer