Fat and lit

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Feb 5 01:58:20 EST 2003

>On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 00:17:30 -0500 (EST), deborah wrote:
>
>I was thinking about heroines I'd like to see along these lines, though.
>Like a skinny person who becomes fat as an expression of her positive
>character growth (NO, not that silly Dickensesque jolly fat person).  Or the
>fat heroine who stays fat and is loved by the hero--who doesn't think of her
>as either fat or skinny but Just Right.  (The husband in the comic strip
>"Rose Is Rose" is like this, although he thinks beauty lies in fatness and
>he's always bugging his wife to put on some weight.)  Or the fat hero who's
>loved by the beautiful princess.  But I'm always looking for ANY variation
>on physical beauty.  We've had "girl who thinks she's ugly because she
>doesn't look like anyone else but we readers know she's actually beautiful
>because we're enlightened modern people who admire a wide variety of
>feminine features."  How about more women like Molly Grue from _The Last
>Unicorn_?
>
>Melissa Proffitt
>still not making sense to herself

I was thinking that the princess in "Shrek" fits the bill for this perfectly.

(spoilers ahead!)

Bear in mind that I haven't read the book (by William Steig) in years
(and years) but in the movie Shrek heads off to rescue the damsel in
distress (of course!). When he finds her she is thin and beautiful,
but has to disappear at night time because of a curse that she's
under. At the end, it turns out that the "thin" part is the curse -
she's actually heavy and not classic-fairy-tale-beautiful. Shrek
loves her more this way and they live happily ever after (presumably).

Mind you, Shrek is no Cary Grant himself. But he's just as green and
ogre-like after he has his quest, saves the day, and falls in love as
he was when he started.

Truly a gem of a story (both the book and the movie)

blessings

widdy

--
Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net