Fat and lit

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 00:59:59 EST 2003

--- Sally Odgers <sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote:

> Um - why do we/you say "butt", anyway? Isn't that
> what a goat does? Or where
> water is stored when it runs off the roof?  "Bum" or
> "arse" is the usual
> Aus. term.

Hear, hear. I think that the Americanisms that annoy
me most are the bottom ones, bum and arse are much
better words than butt or ass. It really annoys me
when I hear kids at school use them (probably because
I'd probably be suspected of child abuse if I tried to
correct them). Fortunately so far I've never heard an
aussie kid use the American rather than the Australian
meaning of fanny.

Jon