tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 00:51:18 EST 2003

Sorry for keeping on about TW. I love MS & T and liked
Otherland a lot. I regard MS & T as one the Important
Works of Fantasy - for the reasons I've stated. I
doubt if I would regard any single work by DWJ as one
of the Important Works of Fantasy - except for Tough
Guide which not only should be compulsary reading for
aspiring fantasy authors - but they should also pass
an exam on it as well (and in many cases have it
tattooed on their foreheads). I hasten to add that
while I wouldn't regard any single DWJ book (or even
series) as one of the genre's Important Works I do
think that the collected body of her work is of
immense significance - far more so than just about any
other post JRRT author.
I should also add that a work can be an Important Work
of Fantasy without being at all good, or indeeded
having any redeeming features at all - The Sword of
Shanarra is an example.

Jon