Fat and lit

Wed Feb 5 00:39:25 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:34:54 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>> I don't know why I'm at a supposedly normal weight for someone my height,
>> and yet my butt is still the size of Kansas.
>
>That's because you're a Mother, Melissa. Babies Cause Butts.

I always thought this was the case, but in November we were watching some
family videos that were from the first year of my marriage, and there's this
terrific shot of me racing away from the camera.  It's always been that
size.  I told my mother this and apparently it's common knowledge that the
women of our family are disproportionately broad in the beam.  Childbirth
does appear to have made things worse, hips and all, you know...and my
medieval-style costume no longer fits because my ribcage spread too.

Isn't everyone just THRILLED to hear all these lovely personal details?  :)

On a completely unrelated note, as I get older I look more like my dad's
sister Marsha than her own daughters do.  With large families like ours (on
both sides) it's fun to see the different types that crop up, usually on
branches you're not directly descended from.

>Um - why do we/you say "butt", anyway? Isn't that what a goat does? Or where
>water is stored when it runs off the roof?  "Bum" or "arse" is the usual
>Aus. term.

I actually don't know why it's "butt" over here--that's just the common
non-profane term.  "Bum" would be considered more juvenile.  In our house we
usually use "tuchis" or, if I'm feeling goofy, "po-po" (my mom's term).

Words are pretty cool.

Melissa Proffitt