Fat and Literature

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Tue Feb 4 20:15:39 EST 2003

> But isn't that the point, in the first book, that it's *not* friendly
> teasing? The boys are cruel to Hermione, because she's bookish and
> seems bossy and know-it-all.

Putting my oar in again (I never learn...) - Harry Potter is pretty
oldfashioned in lots of ways. It's 1950s morality for the most part, if not
earlier... so why should we surprised if boys pick on a girl for being
bright?

Echoes of my childhood... "You think yourself smart?"  It wasn't *done* to
get top marks. And that was 1960s. BTW, I'm not especially intelligent and
not a bit intellectual now. I peaked and levelled early.

Sallyo.