Fat and Literature

Ms Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Tue Feb 4 19:49:11 EST 2003

Denise wrote:
>Oh, I don't think *all* teasing is, either. I poke fun at myself, my
>friends, partner, family, etc regularly enough. The difference is that
>IIRC Hermione is actually hurt by the things Harry/Ron say to her; I
>might
>be wrong, but it seems to me that there was at least one scene in
>which she
>winds up in tears or otherwise seriously hurt by their comments. I
>don't
>consider it "friendly teasing" when one of the individuals involved is
>upset like that.

But isn't that the point, in the first book, that it's *not* friendly
teasing? The boys are cruel to Hermione, because she's bookish and
seems bossy and know-it-all. But they realise that it is hurtful to do
this, and get to know Hermione better: that she is brave and
resourceful and maybe it's not so bad to know things. Then they become
friends.
Kathleen.