Fat and lit

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Feb 4 18:44:15 EST 2003

Melissa,

As a "fat" person who is trying to both live comfortably in the body
that I have (which is no one's definition of only "slightly"
overweight) and treat that body better by eating more healthfully and
excercising more I appreciate your well-though-out message.

It truly is a trickly road to walk between disparaging people for
their body type and encouraging heavy (very) people to stay that way.

As to your Card example. I agree that that trek would cause anyone to
lose weight, but was the weight loss also symbolic of a
transformation into a stronger, "better" person? That's where the
trickiness lies.

I am not personally offended by changes in weight used as metaphors
for changes in character as long as this isn't the only portrayal of
"heavy" people around.

blessings

widdy

>I don't want to get into this topic, because it's something skinny people
>like me are never able to talk to fat people about without being (usually
>unintentionally) offensive.  Also because fatness as it's defined nowadays
>is taken to ridiculous extremes.  Jacob and I went to see a play that had
>been written as a result of an online discussion about body type and
>attractiveness.  The main character was supposed to be someone who was
>overweight and yet became the main love interest of the male lead--without
>losing weight.  The play was wonderful, but the female lead was...well, she
>was definitely not slender, but not what I'd call fat.  (The play's author
>is a very hefty guy himself, and I suppose I used him as a baseline for
>'overweight.')  So we nagged him about it afterward, because what we REALLY
>wanted to see was a VERY large woman who was also clearly an attractive
>woman.  One of the things the playwright said about it, aside from other
>casting issues, was that this actress did think she was fat.  That made me
>just sick inside, because she was a very pretty young woman.  So I think the
>stereotype of the chunky person losing weight and therefore becoming
>attractive, saving the world, etc., is stupid and unnecessary.
>
>It's where the issue of body type, weight, and attractiveness meet reality
>that I feel inclined to protest.  As I said, the line at which someone is
>considered "fat" is drawn really really low these days.  But there is a
>point at which too much fat becomes extremely unhealthy.  And this is what
>disturbs me.  It's one thing to divorce your feelings of self-worth from
>what your body type is.  It's another to be proud of being unhealthy--and by
>this I mean that you have evidence that your personal body type and weight
>are causing health problems, and yet you're proud of your body and refuse to
>change it.  My family learned this last year when my father, chronically
>obese, became diabetic.  He was told straight out by his doctor that this
>was a result of his weight.  Before that, his weight had been affecting his
>breathing, his sleep patterns, and his energy.  Now that he's started
>exercising he's lost about fifty pounds already, and I hope he does lose the
>next 150, because he's going to be happier and healthier.
>
>The thing is, I don't like the assumption that *every* time a character
>loses weight it's some kind of comment on how overweight people are immoral
>and lazy and you have to be thin to be happy.  I remember one of Orson Scott
>Card's stories from _Folk of the Fringe_, in which a very large lady is
>forced to cross the country on foot from North Carolina to Utah.  She sheds
>a lot of weight and ends up rail-thin and tough.  I don't see this as
>anything other than a reflection of reality that almost everyone, given this
>kind of strenuous exercise, will have a marked change in their physique.

> [...]

Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons
exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated.
G.K. Chesterton

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net