Fat and lit

Tue Feb 4 18:34:16 EST 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 23:09:07 -0000, Charles Butler wrote:

>Melissa wrote:
>The main character was supposed to be someone who was
>overweight and yet became the main love interest of the male lead--without
>losing weight.  The play was wonderful, but the female lead was...well, she
>was definitely not slender, but not what I'd call fat.
>
>Doesn't this say a lot about modern taboos? Even fat people can't be played
>by fat people.

More of the story:  This was a university production, and it turned out that
no really fat people auditioned.  So it really says that fat people don't
think they can be actors.  Or that they won't be cast in leading roles.
(The play's being produced again with a different cast...I don't know who
the female lead is, but I know the male lead and he's, um, attractive but
balding.  A lot.  Actually he's a very good-looking guy, but in a
non-traditional way.  Good for them.)

>Personally, I'm sick of seeing  anti-wrinkle creams being
>advertised by actresses who already have perfect skin.

For my part, I'm sick of seeing beautiful blemish-free girls advertising the
wonders of the latest acne cream.  I'm with you.  Let's see some really
spotty kids using it and then we'll know how effective it is.

Melissa Proffitt