Fat and lit

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 18:09:07 EST 2003

Melissa wrote:
The main character was supposed to be someone who was
overweight and yet became the main love interest of the male lead--without
losing weight.  The play was wonderful, but the female lead was...well, she
was definitely not slender, but not what I'd call fat.

Doesn't this say a lot about modern taboos? Even fat people can't be played
by fat people. Personally, I'm sick of seeing  anti-wrinkle creams being
advertised by actresses who already have perfect skin. Why can't they get
some withered crone to try it, I ask my wife, so we can really see the
difference after three weeks? (She finds the idea absurd, by the way, but I
don't see why.)

Charlie