Fat and lit

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Feb 4 17:02:40 EST 2003

Rosie:

>Can't remember whether anyone has mentioned Milly in CL as example of
>fat nice person who seems perfectly happy with herself. And Julia and
>Roger seem fairly OK with being fat as well. I have just spotted an
>inconsistency there - how come those two aren't allowed marmalade
>because they're too fat, but are allowed to eat cream cakes?

Bother.  I was thinking of Roger and Julia as good examples of nice
and powerful and happy characters who were also plump.  How could I
have forgotten the not being allowed marmalade?

Completely outside DWJ, but I did suddenly remember the lovely guy
Oliver and Randy find when they're out collecting scrap (Four-Story
Mistake or Then There Were Five?), who's retired so he can fish and
cook and eat and is perfectly content.  Mr. Titus, is it?  Oliver
says he wants to be just like him.  I also love the way they're
playing the game of guessing what people will be like based on their
names, and get it wrong every time.

Hallie.