Jill Murphy (was: Re: HP & DWJ)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 10:01:19 EST 2003

I don't know if this is any help, but here's an extract from Jill Murphy's
interview with Books for Keeps (Sept. 2002):

A letter to the Daily Mail in 2001 asked 'How much does the Harry Potter
phenomenon owe to Jill Murphy's Worst Witch series?' and talking to Jill,
it's clear that she looks back longingly to the days when she wasn't
constantly having to field questions concerning her reactions to the fact
that Hogwarts is something of a rival establishment. 'It's irritating...
everyone asks the same question and I even get children writing to ask me
wether I mind about the Hogwarts school of witchcraft and pointing out
similarities. Even worse are the reviewers who come across my books, or see
the TV series, and, without taking the trouble to find out that it's now
over quarter of a century since I wrote my first book, make pointed remarks
about "clever timing" - or say things like "the Worst Witch stories are not
a million miles from J K Rowling's books." The implications are really quite
insulting!'

Irritation, but no hint of a lawsuit...

Charlie