Fat and lit

Rosie Hopkins rosieburroughs at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 08:31:15 EST 2003

 --- Sally Odgers <sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote:
> So - being a nat. skinny is a matter of luck as much as anything
> else. It
> may also be tied to living in a small family as a child. Most big
> family
> people learn to eat fast and eat lots before their sibs get the lot.

OTOH, my husband is an only child and far from skinny. According to his
mother, he learned to eat fast because otherwise his father would start
pinching food from his plate. According to his father, he eats a lot
because his mother would never have anything wasted. Or it might just
run in the family as his father and uncle have similar-shaped and sized
paunches!

Can't remember whether anyone has mentioned Milly in CL as example of
fat nice person who seems perfectly happy with herself. And Julia and
Roger seem fairly OK with being fat as well. I have just spotted an
inconsistency there - how come those two aren't allowed marmalade
because they're too fat, but are allowed to eat cream cakes?

Rosie