Fat and Literature

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 4 03:58:24 EST 2003

Denise wrote:

>I might be wrong, but it seems to me that there was at least one scene in
>which she winds up in tears or otherwise seriously hurt by their comments.

There is a scene in the first book, before Ron and Harry befriend Hermione,
where Hermione cries because of a comment of Ron's. However, this incident,
combined with Hermione's unexpected loyalty over the encounter with the
troll, actually serves as the trigger for Ron and Harry befriending
Hermione!
In the fourth book it is Snape who brings Hermione to tears with a comment
about her big teeth. Ron and Harry upset her with their behaviour
surrounding the dance, but they are not teasing her personally - they are
generally acting like jerks towards the female population, and it doesn't
make them look good.

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug