Fat and Literature

Denise DeGraf mustang at sonic.net
Tue Feb 4 03:31:01 EST 2003

Gili Bar-Hillel danced around singing:
>  I don't think that all teasing is necessarily abuse, not when it is part
> of a close and complex friendship.

Oh, I don't think *all* teasing is, either.  I poke fun at myself, my
friends, partner, family, etc regularly enough.  The difference is that
IIRC Hermione is actually hurt by the things Harry/Ron say to her; I might
be wrong, but it seems to me that there was at least one scene in which she
winds up in tears or otherwise seriously hurt by their comments.  I don't
consider it "friendly teasing" when one of the individuals involved is
upset like that.

Denise