Friendship and Fat and lit

Denise DeGraf mustang at sonic.net
Tue Feb 4 01:41:19 EST 2003

Ms Kathleen Jennings danced around singing:
>Has anyone mentioned Polly's childhood friend in Fire and Hemlock? (I
>can't remember her name). She starts off fat, charismatic - and quite
>beautiful in Polly's eyes. By the time she has acquired a figure she is
>no longer a sympathetic character.

Hmm, that's right... I have F&H on my desk, so I'll check her name -- it's
Nina Carrington.  She doesn't seem like a terribly nice girl much of the
time in general, even though Polly adores her, but you're right, she does
get a lot worse when she starts developing a figure.  Then again, I had the
same thing happen with quite a few of my childhood friends: nice when we
were kids, then went generally unpleasant as we hit puberty.

A lot of why I prefer children's titles over adult or teen-focused books,
in fact, is because of how characters (and people) change after puberty.  I
never went through that stage, as I was physically delayed and then lost
the ability to produce hormone....  So to this day, I don't quite grasp the
hormone-augmented mentality of anyone over about age 10.  Part of why I
love DWJ is because while she does include romance in her plots at times,
it's all based on friendship rather than lust -- I can understand that
perfectly well, and I've got a LTR of my own that is the same way.  As I've
said before, I just wish that other authors would do the same thing.

Recommendations for tales of friendship, anyone?  I quite like Diane
Duane's "Young Wizards" and "Feline Wizards" series, in terms of magical
fantasy...

Denise DeGraf ~*~ http://www.sonic.net/mustang/moggy
If ignorance is bliss, some people are damned near orgasmic.