: fantasy monarchies

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 19:45:05 EST 2003

--- Margaret Ball <margaret at onr.com> wrote:

> >Even in the
> >middle ages monarchs weren't really absolute -
> think
> >of the fun Sauron would have had if the Parliament
> of
> >Orcs had refused to allow him to raise an army or
> if
> >the Council of Nazgul had said that they wouldn't
> go
> >off unless he signed a Great Charter guaranteeing
> the
> >autonomy of their own rings.
> >
> I like that. Would've made a different but possibly
> more interesting book!
>
> To be fair, though, I've always believed Tolkien had
> the events of WWII
> in mind when he was writing these books (he denied
> this, but how could
> he NOT be thinking about it, for heaven's sake) and
> I don't believe the
> Reichstag ever voted down anything Hitler wanted.

This reminds of story of Khrushchev. After the death
of Stalin K gave a speach to the Supreme Soviet
denouncing all the evils of Stalin's reign. Someone
yelled from the back "what were you doing to stop this
if you knew it was happening?" Khrushchev yelled back
"Who said that?" no-one owned up to the remark.
Khrushchev smiled, and said "that's what I was doing".
It is easy to oppose evil when you are safe.

Jon