: fantasy monarchies

Mon Feb 3 15:47:51 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:30:40 -0800 (PST), Jon Noble wrote:

>I fully accept that LOTR has to be way it is to work,
>and that it reflects JRRT's beliefs on the nature of
>Good and Evil, but those books appeared almost 50
>years ago!! Why is everyone still doing the same
>thing?

Because the drones who buy the endless knockoffs *want* the same thing.
They want comfort and vicarious thrills, not real thought.

Oops.  There goes the Cynicism Monkey again.  Back in the cage, boy....

Anyway, the point is that if authors are writing it, it's because there's a
market for it.  Publishers buy it because there's a market for it.  There's
a quote from Lois Bujold's books somewhere that sums it up nicely, but I can
only paraphrase it--egalitarians do just fine in aristocracies as long as
they get to be the aristocrats.  These fantasy monarchies invite the readers
to identify with the people in power, and by extension to imagine themselves
as innately powerful.  After all, in such books you're born to the purple;
that's a seductive fantasy, to believe you're inherently important and
worthwhile.  Far easier than discovering your true and inherent self-worth.

Melissa Proffitt