: fantasy monarchies

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Mon Feb 3 09:36:45 EST 2003

>I think the thing that Tolkien kept on strenuously denying was that LotR
>was an analogy of WWII, that it was explicitly based on it.  Which of
>course it wasn't.

Oh. Thanks for the clarification! I'd never read his denials, only the
books themselves, and of course you're right that it's not an explicit
analogy of WWII; I never realized anybody would think that. It's just
all these elements in the books that are so strongly reminiscent of the
English experience in the previous decade....there's an evil empire
which is growing and which will eventually take over everything unless
Somebody Fights Back. Our hobbit heroes leave a Shire which feels like a
romanticized version of the rural Cotswolds to take on this empire. They
come back to a depressed Shire where everything is counted and rationed,
and doesn't that sound like the England of Clement Attlee and Aneurin Bevan?

Not to mention the mysterious weapon of great power which will give the
wielder world domination and probably ought never to be used...okay,
I'll stop now.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com