Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Feb 3 09:07:07 EST 2003

Sallyo wrote:
[reasons people are bullied]
> There's one other option - clothing. But taste is also
> inbuilt. Is it fair
> to sneer at people for having different taste?

I'm not sure what you mean by "inbuilt" here? I wear the clothes I do as a
compromise between "professional" gear and what I find comfortable (and
attractive in the sense of the colour suiting me), but I suspect that if I'd
had a different set of friends in adolescence I might find a different look
attractive and be in the set of goth librarians, or I might pay more
attention to fashion.
No, it isn't fair to pick on people for what they wear. (ObDWJ; Rupert being
contemptuous of scruffy Maree, when she's so broke she can't buy any other
clothes). But I see clothing as more malleable than body-shape, certainly
short-term, and it is also a group-marker, so if an author wants to show a
group of people being looked down on, why not "them with the silly hats"?
(obDWJ; Maree's aunt's horrible sweaters as an indicator of her character;
Howl's suits)
Jennifer