: fantasy monarchies

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Mon Feb 3 00:25:37 EST 2003

>Even in the
>middle ages monarchs weren't really absolute - think
>of the fun Sauron would have had if the Parliament of
>Orcs had refused to allow him to raise an army or if
>the Council of Nazgul had said that they wouldn't go
>off unless he signed a Great Charter guaranteeing the
>autonomy of their own rings.

I like that. Would've made a different but possibly more interesting book!

To be fair, though, I've always believed Tolkien had the events of WWII
in mind when he was writing these books (he denied this, but how could
he NOT be thinking about it, for heaven's sake) and I don't believe the
Reichstag ever voted down anything Hitler wanted.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com