Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Sun Feb 2 21:09:19 EST 2003

> At the risk of annoying Sally with a mention of Roal Dahl,

I don't mind you mentioning him, (says I, magnanimously) so long as no one
makes me read him.

> It's a wide-open worm can, all right. But then, so much fantasy buys in
> unquestioningly into the idea that some are born to rule and others to
serve
> (in a way which few of its writers or readers would promote in real life),
> by seeming to advocate - amongst other things - absolute monarchy. From
> Narnia to Prydain to Middle-Earth to Earthsea, no fantasy society seems to
> be well-adjusted without a true-born king sitting on a throne and wielding
> total power.

In Piers Anthony's Xanth books, the king (who can be female) is the one with
the Enchanter-level magic. Usually this is inherited, but not necessarily.

So we have Birth (accident of), Talent (pure luck) or Nature (luck again...)
... how *should* kings be chosen?

Sallyo.

'Popularity does not guarantee worth, nor does it negate it.'