: fantasy monarchies

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 15:19:51 EST 2003

While JRRT has been a massive influence on everything
since, Kings were an established feature of fantasy
before him. It has been more years than I care to
count since I read much pre-JRRT fantasy (there was a
time when there was more pre-JRRT fantasy available
than post JRRT) but I can only think of one book that
features a government that is not a monarchy - Hope
Mirlees "Lud in the mist", although in Dunsany's "King
of Elfland's daughter" the hero's father is a Duke who
is at least moved by public opinion.
In one of Terry Goodkind's novels he is very critical
of a democratic government, wiping out a society
because the vote the wrong way.
It certainly helps plot wise for the baddies to be
absolute monarchs, the Goodkind book is the closest to
a  counter-example I can think of, and a counter
monarchy on the good side makes easier writing, but
even in books where politics are important - Guy Kay's
later books, George RR Martin's etc. monarchies still
seem to be the falvour of the genre.
When you look at historical societies that could serve
as prototypes why does everyone have to go for an
imagined version of the middle ages rather than - say
- republican Rome or democratic Athens. Even in the
middle ages monarchs weren't really absolute - think
of the fun Sauron would have had if the Parliament of
Orcs had refused to allow him to raise an army or if
the Council of Nazgul had said that they wouldn't go
off unless he signed a Great Charter guaranteeing the
autonomy of their own rings.
My own feeling is that in the end it comes down to the
essentially "fascist" nature of the genre - I topic I
will try to avoid this time round.

Jon Noble
--- Charles Butler