No subject

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 2 15:04:17 EST 2003

> > Not to speak of happy slave races, but there *are* people who love to serve
> > others. That's the way they define themselves. If forced to stop, they are
> > as much enslaved as a non-server would be if forced to serve.
>
>The difference between a servant and a slave is that a servant can quit.

I don't think it is as simple as that. Historically, a lot of servants had
no options - they had to work to eat, and quitting would mean they had no
income and no way of securing another job. Very few servants would be hired
without a good 'character' from an employer, and servants who quit would be
unlikely to secure good references.

Robyn