: fantasy monarchies

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Feb 2 12:32:54 EST 2003

Yes, I'm sure Tolkien has a lot to do with it. You don't need a Tough Guide
to see that some fantasy writers have taken his example as a licence to stop
using their own brains. But this monarchy thing is particularly puzzling to
me because so many of even the best fantasy writers do it, writers who are
quite willing to take into account contemporary sensitivities about gender
and ecology for example, without feeling any apparent need to problematize
the convention (to use some unlovely jargon).

I think the explanation may lie even deeper than JRRT's influence. Why would
it be unthinkable for Disney - a good republican, no doubt - to make a film
called The Lion President? Yet it would be hard to cite Tolkien's influence
there, or even that of the Middle Ages. Must we turn to Jungian archetypes
for an explanation?

Charlie