Many Replies re: Harry Potter & etc.

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Sat Feb 1 21:30:05 EST 2003

>Dobby wants freedom and he's willing to learn what it
> takes to get there--and he is willing to do it the hard way.  Other
> house-elves don't and that presents a dilemma.

I can see a parallel with the Working Wife syndrome. In my young days it was
accepted that young wives would work (outside the home) - probably. But
older wives weren't stigmatised if they didn't choose to work.

That was a good way to be, I think. These days economic reality assumes both
spouses (spice???) will work, and so makes life *&^* difficult if one can't
get a job.

We are a one-income household. And that makes us functionally worse off than
most. Back in the 70s, we were comfortable.

Sallyo.