feminism and fairy tales course syllabus

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Sat Feb 1 23:23:49 EST 2003

How interesting that you actually got to take a course with the person
whose book I'm using!  One of the fun things that I'm finding about going
to conferences is actually meeting people whose work I admire and use.
It always amazes me that they are not only real people, but (so far),
kind and helpful as well.  (Ok, so I'm probably naive and easily amazed,
but still, it's that "star-struck" thing, I think).

It doesn't surprise me that the course that Tatar taught didn't go far
with the children's versions of the tales; the textbook doesn't really,
either, which is why I supplement with so many picture books (of course,
it's tough to anthologize picture books, but that's a whole other story).

Here, my colleagues usually associate "folklore" with me because of my
children's lit background (that is, if a student says, "I want to work on
folklore," he or she is usually told, "Oh, go talk to Jackie".  I've been
diligently trying to convince everyone that children's lit is only
tangentially related to folklore and that many folklorists are not
children's lit people and vice versa.

Anyway, I would be interested in seeing the syllabus if you happen to
come across it at some point...

And, by the way, on a different topic, you also get sympathy from me
about the whole translating thing!

Jackie