Megan Knight m.a.knight at ru.ac.za
Sat Feb 1 11:14:55 EST 2003

all this conversation about who belongs in which hogwarts house just raises
a point about the difference btwn jkr and dwj. neither awful nor howl belong
in slytherin: they are not evil, or even really mean, just rude and
inconsiderate. in fact, i cannot imagine a single dwj character who belongs
in slytherin, they are all too multidimensional. most dwj characters who are
mean (like charles, or christopher chant) are like that becuase they are
miserable, or getting revenge, or some REASON. draco malfoy and his lot are
just mean and nasty because it seems that jkr couldn't be bothered to give
them any complexity. even snape's behaviour doesn't get explained until book
3, and even then not very well. of course if jkr actually wrote from a
multicharacter perspective, and let us see what was going on inside anyone
but harry, then the books might be better...

just my 2c worth (0.2 c at current exchange rates)

megan