Best of 2003

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Dec 31 18:48:21 EST 2003

...although I'm not actually calling my list the Best (or Worst) this
year.  Partly because I'm feeling more than usually indecisive about
my choices and categories, partly because I've been out-of-step in
opinion too often this (academic) year, and don't have the energy to
defend anything if challenged.  So I'll opt for fuzzy categories like
'favourite' instead.

Over-all Favourite:  nothing really stuck out for me this year, but
probably _The Curse of Chalion_, Lois McMaster Bujold.  I didn't
think this the most amazing book I'd ever read, but I was crazy about
the Five Gods, and loved the characters.  (In fact, I noted that the
book reminded me in places of  _The Queen of Attolia_, _Falcon_ and
_Element of Fire_.  Good combination for me!)

Most Moving:  Barbara Kingsolver's _The Poisonwood Bible_ .   Becca
made me read this, moving it to the top of the forcing her mother to
read tragic books that she'd normally slither out from list, beating
_The Doomsday Book_ down to second place.  I like Barbara Kingsolver
a lot, but I would almost definitely have slithered out when the
first mention of one of the girls dying came.  (Not a spoiler, as
it's right in the beginning.)  The story was almost unbearably sad
(both at a personal and global level), but I was glad to have made it
through.

Most Satisfying, Just Rightest Read: _The Fetch of Mardy Watt_,
Charles Butler.  Yeah - I got to read it before publication!
Course, that means the cover quotes by DWJ and Susan Cooper weren't
there to tell me how great it was, but luckily I could decide that
for myself.  :-)

Most 'Improved' Serial/Series: _The Well of Lost Plots_, Jasper
Fforde.  (Sorry, Melissa - hope it's out soon in the States.)  I
really enjoyed the first two, but could easily have seen the jokes
starting to stale (for me, not everyone, of course).  But instead I
thought this was both funnier and deeper at the same time.  The bits
I kept insisting on reading aloud to Becca were luckily funny enough
that she loved it, instead of wanting to kill me!

Favourite Been Meaning to Read for Years Now: _84 Charing Cross
Road_, Helene Hanff.  Just great.  Also the perfect BookCrossing
book, which was fun too - my copy is no longer mine, but will
hopefully keep travelling the world as long as it stays together.

The I Seem Farthest from the Opinions of Others On This Book:
_Paladin of Souls_, Bujold again.  Yes, I loved it, got totally
engrossed, was pleased that it was about Ista, *loved* The Bastard,
but I was also infuriated by the style at times.  Especially when she
was describing dy Cabon (that doesn't sound right, but I can't
remember if it is or not now - the 'fat' character), which she seemed
to do incessantly.  I was fed to the teeth with the pudgy remarks,
and the ample girth comments, and the bit about bowing - or trying to
bow - over his belly, but what sent me right round the twist was the
use of 'suety' *twice* to describe his face.  I also felt he was
pretty much wasted as a character, which was very frustrating, as he
could have been so cool.  Anyway, only Becca has agreed with me on
this, most of the reviews I've read have claimed it's even better
than Chalion, and thus the award category.

Most Gob-Smacking Final Line - or Thank Heavens There's a Sequel
Coming: _The Oracle_, Catherine Fisher.

That's coming soon, the sequel to _The Wizard Hunters_ in the summer,
I think, the sequel to _The Thief_ and _Queen of Attolia_, so there's
lots to look forward to in 2004!

Hallie.