christmas book wishes

Jane Scarlett mail at janescarlett.com
Wed Dec 31 15:05:00 EST 2003

> Fowler gives examples in which it would be downright misleading *not* to
> have a comma after a list and before the final "and".  I have a feeling
> he
> uses the names of shipping firms to make his point, but I can't be
> bothered
> to go and fetch the Fowler, still less to work out where I found the
> ruling
> or under what heading.

I work in the NHS, and it's essential there.  "Merton and Sutton and
Wandsworth Health Authorities became Merton Sutton and Wandsworth Health
Authority, which then became Sutton and Merton and Wandsworth PCTs."  Far
easier to understand as "Merton and Sutton, and Wandsworth Health
Authorities became Merton Sutton and Wandsworth Health Authority, which
then became Sutton and Merton, and Wandsworth PCTs."  (Although I usually
use semi-colons in lists like that, and one day I'll try to find out which
is better.  Just as soon as my beloved has finished Eats, Shoots and
Leaves.)

Jane Scarlett