Best of 2003 (excruciatingly long)

Tue Dec 30 17:34:25 EST 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:25:20 -0700, Otter Perry wrote:

>On Monday, December 29, 2003, at 01:12 PM, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> Best List Recommendation:  _The Eyre Affair_, Jasper Fforde
>>
>> I checked this book out three times before actually reading it.  It
>> wasn't
>> until I heard good things about it from you people that I decided to
>> give it
>> a try.  I loved it!  Now I can't wait for the third one to come out
>> here.
>
>You could solve your problem here by taking up with Amazon.co.uk.

This would require my having a much larger book budget than I have.  :)  I
order all the Pratchetts from there and about half the DWJ books--though I'm
as likely to get them from the local store.  I think I've mentioned that my
habit of buying Pratchett books from England has more to do with not liking
the crappy U.S. covers than anything else, now that they're released
simultaneously.

Anyway, I depend on the library for Jasper Fforde.  The county system bought
WAY more than they needed of _The Eyre Affair_ and I ended up buying six
copies to give to people, for about fifty cents each.  (Beautiful, near-fine
copies marred only by a few stamps and stickers it took five minutes to
remove completely.)  Would that they had done the same with the others.

>I admit that shipping takes longer, so I don't get Pratchett and Jones
>the minute they hit the stands.  Oh, well.

This is true, though they are just about as fast as ordering something from
Amazon.com, in my experience.  I've been very pleased with their service so
far.  Whereas the US Amazon is likely to send me things from Illinois, which
they apparently ship by wagon train.

Melissa Proffitt