Best of 2003 (excruciatingly long) and my own worst

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 16:20:21 EST 2003

--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:

> Best First Novel:  _Across the Nightingale Floor_ by
> Lian Hearn

While I agree it is a great book, it is not a first
novel. Lian Hearn has written quite a few childrens
and YA novels under her real name Gillian Rubenstein.
I believe she used a pseudonym for the Otori books so
they would be judged on their own merits rather than
trade of her already established (in Oz at least)
success. I'm sure just about every Aussie kid in the
last 20 years has read "Space Demons", while her
"Beyond the Labyrinth" was one of the first books in
include major Dungeons and Dragons references
(although iirc it is actually SF rather than fantasy)

I'll just add my own personal worst book of the year,
as this year I read a truly terrible one. "Colin the
Librarian" (can't recall the author) which seems to be
an attempt to write a funny fantasy novel by someone
who has seen fantasy novels in bookshops but has never
actually read one. It seems to have some very obscure
jokes in it so possibly Minnow or someone will tell us
that this is actually a British fan classic full of
references to all sorts of British fen, but I doubt
it. As a librarian I bought the book for its title, at
a library book sale. Interestingly although it was an
ex-library book it wasn't from the library that was
having the sale. I suspect a librarian there had got
it from another library sale and was getting rid of
it. So it has actually been sold by several libraries
in turn.

Jon