christmas book wishes

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 17:31:13 EST 2003

Minnow:
> The only dictionary in the house that lists the words together, Collins
> Millennium (Chambers and the S.O.D. make no mention of this noun phrase)
> does not have a hyphen between them, for what it's worth.

That's not so surprising: I wouldn't particularly expect a hyphen in a
sentence such as 'We will impose a policy of zero tolerance.' But when it
changes from being a simple noun phrase to being a prenominal compound
adjective (as in 'a zero-tolerance approach'), there are certainly people
who would feel that a hyphen is required. Personally I don't much care
either way, and was only speculating as to what the person Paul mentioned
might have objected to. In this, as in most things (including the Oxford
comma), common sense and clarity of meaning deserve to prevail over both the
Shambling Troll Illiteracy and its anally-retentive twin, the Giant
Pedantios.

In the spirit of Mark 2.27 -

Charlie