christmas book wishes

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Dec 27 17:07:48 EST 2003

Charlie wrote:

>My candidate is the missing hyphen in the subtitle: 'The Zero Tolerance
>Approach to Punctuation'. Shouldn't that, as a compound adjective, be
>'Zero-Tolerance'?

The only dictionary in the house that lists the words together, Collins
Millennium (Chambers and the S.O.D. make no mention of this noun phrase)
does not have a hyphen between them, for what it's worth.

Since (unlike the case of the pickled herring merchant or extra marital
sex) there is no ambiguity as it stands, why not leave the poor things
alone?  What harm have they ever done you?  Why must they go through life
yoked uneasily like Siamese twins, when they could be off in separate
night-clubs having a good time?  Eh?  Be humane!

Minnow (gleefully contemplating the Tolerance Approach as a possibility)