bookbuying report

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 20 18:51:16 EST 2003

So, I went Chrismas book shopping (I also get to buy a book for my
birthday, which was yesterday).

I was tempted by the McKillip, but the price was sooooo outrageous for the
size of the book ($33.95). I asked for Amulet of Samarkand, and was told
they had it; no, it was out of stock, and then offered a different book by
a different author. Justification: it had the word "Samarkand" in the title.

I ended up with David Starkey (no relation) "Wives of Henry VIII" and A.S.
Byatt's new short story collection. This was the same price as the
McKillip, and a similarly small book, but I find Byatt much more rereadable.

Robyn