christmas book wishes

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Dec 20 16:02:25 EST 2003

Dorian:

>   > Robyn Starkey wrote:
>   > >So, I have to ask: what books are on your wish list for Santa?
>   >
>   > *Eats, Shoots and Leaves* by Lynne Truss.
>
>   Oh yes, I want that one too!  Saw it in Chapters when I was shopping for
>other people and had much ado to *not* buy it for myself (lack of money was
>the only thing that stopped me!).

Don't do anything about it - there'll be a copy or two out in Dalkey
that could make their way to you if you can just wait a week or two!
(Long and boring story about a woman in Dubray telling my mother it
was all sold out everywhere, and her telling me, and then asking
another friend for a copy and my finding it in the meantime.  Also
read the first chapter on the Dart home - LOL funny in places but
also quite irritating even at that point.  I felt I'd read an elegant
sufficiency already.)

>   What a title:  "The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for
>the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed". :-)  It's by Karen Elizabeth
>Gordon.  She also wrote a grammar book called "The Transitive Vampire: A
>Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed", which I
>read out of the library.
>
>   Amazon also throws up "The Disheveled Dictionary: A Curious Caper Through
>our Sumptuous Lexicon" and "Torn Wings and Faux Pas: A Flashbook of Style, a
>Beastly Guide Through the Writer's Labyrinth", both of which I now want.

Not by the same author, but I've heard good things about "Between You
and I".  Anybody else read it?

Hallie.