christmas book wishes

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Dec 20 13:05:37 EST 2003

  Minnow said...

  > Robyn Starkey wrote:
  > >So, I have to ask: what books are on your wish list for Santa?
  >
  > *Eats, Shoots and Leaves* by Lynne Truss.

  Oh yes, I want that one too!  Saw it in Chapters when I was shopping for
other people and had much ado to *not* buy it for myself (lack of money was
the only thing that stopped me!).

  > If it were still available, *The Well-Tempered Sentence* by someone
  > whose name I can't remember, but I fear that when *The New Well-Tempered
  > Sentence* came out my chances of getting that became very slim, if it
  > ever even existed at all.

  What a title:  "The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for
the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed". :-)  It's by Karen Elizabeth
Gordon.  She also wrote a grammar book called "The Transitive Vampire: A
Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed", which I
read out of the library.

  Amazon also throws up "The Disheveled Dictionary: A Curious Caper Through
our Sumptuous Lexicon" and "Torn Wings and Faux Pas: A Flashbook of Style, a
Beastly Guide Through the Writer's Labyrinth", both of which I now want.

  Until the sky falls on our heads...

  Dorian.
  --
  Dorian E. Gray
  israfel at eircom.net

  "[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long
with another person."
  - Horace Walpole