Firefly (was Re: LotR and the BBCs Big Read)

Fri Dec 19 19:31:53 EST 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:15:49 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>>>  Or television show, although after watching the DVD release of Firefly this
>>>week I think I have a favorite.
>
>Why do I have a memory of you (Melissa, or possibly someone else)
>saying that this was about to start on telly over here?  (loosely
>here).   I've been looking out for it ever since, but no joy.  What
>is it, anyway?

It should have been, but not being actually in the UK I never paid attention
to times and/or television channels.  A few months after it was cancelled
here, we saw that it would be aired in the UK with the three episodes that
we never saw, which is what made that little news item stand out.  I think
this would have been back in May or June.

As to what it is...well.  The show is set some five hundred years in the
future, after humans have colonized hundreds of other planets and discovered
that they are in fact alone in the universe.  The nine members of the
ensemble cast are crew and passengers aboard the spaceship Serenity, which
is a Firefly-class ship (hence the series name).  The captain and his first
mate fought in a war against the Alliance, a group of central planets who
wanted to extend the reach of their government as far as possible.  The
Alliance won.  So Serenity's crew are out on the outskirts of colonized
space, avoiding official attention and taking whatever transport jobs and/or
passengers come their way.  Legality is not something they worry much about,
but they're basically good people.  The feel of the series is eclectic, with
even ordinary people casually speaking bits of Mandarin, colonized worlds
that range from the decadent to the barely technological, and people of all
races mingling freely.  The show's creator, Joss Whedon, is also responsible
for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel," so "Firefly" has all the amazing
dialogue and unexpected characterizations you would expect from him.  With
the series only running about 14 episodes, there are also a lot of
unexplained mysteries about the characters and the culture.

If it isn't the best science fiction show I've ever seen, it is certainly
the one I love the most.  Joss Whedon has not given up hope on the series,
and is supposed to be working on a feature film adaptation, so I keep
thinking that maybe someday it will be back.

Melissa Proffitt