LotR and the BBCs Big Read

Fri Dec 19 02:17:12 EST 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:07:40 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>You *can* try out newer things and still  reread P&P as well - many
>times! :)  But my mind doesn't work well at this kind of task - I can
>(with great difficulty) choose my favourite from a list of books -
>whether it be all-time favourite DWJ (ok, it changes, and I usually
>end up picking three or so instead of one), or favourite reads of
>this year (we all going to play along with Melissa's game this
>time?), but just favourite book?  Impossible.

I tell my kids that this is the mark of an avid reader: no such thing as one
favorite book.  Only people who haven't read much can afford to have a
single favorite.  (Snobbery, there, but oh well.)  Same thing goes for all
sorts of art, I think.  There are just too many variables to narrow the list
down to one single book or painting or piece of music or movie.  Or
television show, although after watching the DVD release of Firefly this
week I think I have a favorite.

I'm beginning to wonder if Melissa is going to play her own game this year.
I have been working to get some gifts finished for this Saturday's
role-playing group Christmas party and having to learn yet another computer
program in the process.  I did discover, in transferring the reading journal
to a spreadsheet, that most of what I read this year was for the first time.
Somehow that's a very satisfying feeling, though I don't know why re-reading
good books should be less positive than reading something new.  I also had
only four books I didn't finish, which is some kind of record.

Melissa Proffitt