Heyer (was Stew (see scurvy) )

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 16:54:59 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/18/2003 4:40:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
minnow at belfry.org.uk writes:

> Robyn asked:
>
> >What's your view on Heyer? All her biographers go on about how meticulous
> >her research is. It's not my period, so I can't nitpick her.
>
> I understand that the devoted ladies (and gentlemen) of the Heyer list have
> so far caught I think it's two almost-certain errors in her Regency-period
> work; there may be others.

I thought I remembered reading in her memoirs that she deliberately
introduced a fake piece of slang in order to catch out another Regency-writer whom she
suspecting of lifting her research. (Said writer duly introduced it in her --
I assume it was her -- next book.) Does anyone know what that was? I suspect
"don't make a cake of yourself," having never met that one anywhere else ever,
but it's hardly my period, either.

Helen Schinske