LotR and the BBCs Big Read

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 14:54:49 EST 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Would LotR have been top there before the films were
> made, d'you suppose?

Some six or so years ago LotR topped a poll by, I
think, a British bookshop as the best/most popular
book of all time. It also topped a similar poll in
Australia which was organised by bookshop chain Angus
And Robertson. This one I know people voted for in the
bookshops. I know I had both lists pinned up in my
last school library, taken from newspaper reports, but
when, a couple of years ago, I tried to find them on
the net I couldn't. I think it was Germaine Greer who
said one of her greatest nightmares was for LotR to be
regarded as the greatest book of the 20th century.

Jon