purple jars

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Dec 18 11:39:37 EST 2003

Alison wrote:

>This is the story of Rosamond and the Purple Jar by Maria Edgeworth.

>I believe this is the full text.

Thank you! someone kindly sent it to me by email, and I have to say
that I think I was right at the age of seven: it *is* pretty yucky, to
my mind anyway.

I am glad to know rather than merely having to surmise, though.

I think I'd rather, now as then, read *The Stokesley Secret*, which is
just as moral but does at least have a pig paying the rent, and some
characters I could believe in.

Or *Herr Baby* ("eggs 'n' bacon is nuffin for breakfast!")

Minnow