OT: Fry-ups?

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Dec 18 11:14:42 EST 2003

Amanda wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 05:36:10AM -0600, Ian W. Riddell wrote:
>>What's a fry-up? I get the general picture, but are there specific
>>ingredients?
>Roger wrote:
>There's no formal definition, but I'd say it has to include sausage or
>bacon, eggs, and bread. (Others may disagree; I am after all a Londoner
>and therefore culturally impoverished in this matter.)
>
>I would say without a doubt there has to be black pudding, or the fry up is
>not a fry up but merely a poor imitation.

I think some would hold out for white pudding as having a claim as good
as that of black.

Others might want mushrooms, onions or tomatoes.  I have heard bids for
slices of old boiled potato in this meal too.

The main thing is that it should all be cooked in the same frying pan,
either all at the same time or in sequence, so that there is a minimum
of washing up.

Minnow (who disapproves of washing up)