Stew (see scurvy)

Joe Nankivell Joe.Nankivell at ucd.ie
Thu Dec 18 08:29:36 EST 2003

Minnow:

> My feeling is that they *should* for their own joyful amusement, but the
> original small books that came out in his lifetime are devilish hard to
> find second-hand.  I don't think people tend lightly to get rid of *I Said
> Oddly, Diddle I* or *Idly Oddly* or *Oddly Bodlikins* or *Gladly Oddly* if
> they once have them; they probably make special mention of them in codecils
> to their Wills.  It's taken me thirty years to collect just those four, and
> I know there are more than that, because "Oddly Enough" and "Even Oddlier"
> are listed at the front, but I have never seen those two at all.

I'm sure you don't want me to mention this, but if you were webbed
up you could visit http://used.addall.com/ and get both today for
about a tenner. You could also get *Model oddlies*, *Oodles of
oddlies*, *It's an odd thing, but...* and *Next to oddliness*, which
all seem to be separate titles rather than reissues under different
guises. Sad how the net kills the thrill of the chase where 2nd hand
books are concerned, but still... tempting.

All of these are quite new to me - too young. I did grow up with the
Jenguin Pennings though, which was a bog book in my house for a
time - so I was aware of Douglas Adams' imposture with *The
meaning of Liff*.

Joe

Joe Nankivell
Bibliographic Services Dept.